Saturday, October 8, 2011

A different kind of vase

I have an on going problem with my dear, sweet, kitty cat. She eats any plant that I try to keep in my house. She'll seek them out on top of my fireplace, dresser, coffee table, refrigerator...you name it and she'll jump up there to nibble on the leaves. So I have finally come up with a spot that she will not be able to reach.  This wall vase is very easy to make, super cheap, and definitely one of a kind.


Supplies:
Scrap Wood
Glass Jar
1/16" Diameter Wire
House Paint or Acrylic Paint
2 Nails


Take a piece of old wood and paint it any color desired. This project would even look nice keeping the wood natural. 
I just put one coat of white paint onto mine. I liked the way the wood still was able to show through, giving it an older, vintage look. 
Hammer 2 nails into the wood where you want your vase to sit. It's important to take whatever jar you are using, (I used an old pasta sauce jar) and measure the width of the lip. This is how far apart you want your nails to be.

Wrap a long piece of wire around one of the nails a few times.  Make sure you cut your wire longer then you would think. It has to wrap around each nail multiple times, then around your jar 3 or 4 times. ( I cut my first one too short, so learn from my mistakes please.) Then slide your beads onto the open end.
Wrap your wire around your jar, then around the other nail.










Then Hang and admire your thrifty, wall art/vase.

Ta-Da!

I painted some subtle circles on the other plank of wood, I contemplated putting a mirror on that side, but I kind of like it plain.


"I MUST find a way to eat those flowers!"










---Emily Jo


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At October 12, 2011 at 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very innovative ideas, love them all! Great job!

 
At December 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Christina said...

So you just attached 2 thin pieces of wood to the back horizontally of both pieces of wood? Is that how you hung it on the wall? I love love love this!

 
At December 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM , Blogger . said...

I actually just found the wood like this, but yes, it is 2 pieces of scrap wood being held together with 2 thin strips of wood. You could really do this project with any type of scrap wood though!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home