Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pixelated painting

Being low on funds but in the mood to paint, I rummaged around my basement and came back up with a piece of plywood and got to work on a painting. I usually lean more towards mixed media when I create things that are purely visual, but I decided to just stick to paint this time. 


Supplies:
Acrylic paint
Plywood


First, I slapped on a thin coat of white paint as a sort of primer to even out the surface a bit. 


While the paint was drying, I sketched out a thumbnail of what I was hoping to create. I was inspired by the paper fringe on pinatas and wanted the composition look like a ray of sunlight coming through from the top right.


I tried to paint it with my palette knife and was quickly reminded how much I dislike them and switched over to a paintbrush after one row. Also a great tip for a paint palette - use tin foil to cover any flat surface(I used a tupperware lid). 


Here it is about halfway through. In the first couple rows I got anxious and wanted to sort of skip around, but it didn't work out well so I went back to being patient and painting one row at a time.


This project really didn't take a whole lot of time, probably about 2 hours from start to finish. All done and up on the wall, and I spotted another piece of plywood in the basement so I may have to make this one a pair. 

--Heather

2 Comments:

At November 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Taylor said...

i love it, Heath!! You make me want to paint again..
-taylor.

 
At November 21, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Blogger . said...

Thanks Tay! And do it up, it's my favorite way to zone out, haha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home