Saturday, October 15, 2011

Glitter Shoes

This project was so much fun, and I'm so happy with the outcome! I was skeptical at first, but this is an easy, cheap, brilliant, way to update that pair of shoes you no longer wear.

These toe-less ankle boots had been sitting at the bottom of my closet for over a year now. I have only worn them once, and they were the perfect guinea pigs for this experimental project.

Supplies:
Pair of Shoes
Glitter
Tacky Glue
Spray Adhesive
Paintbrush

Once you have your pair of choice, stuff plastic bags into any openings you do not want to get sticky or glitter-ified. (If you are doing a pair of heels or flats, this would be the whole inside opening where your foot would go)

Next I said good-bye to my shoes, no turning back now. Pour some tacky glue onto your shoe and turn it into a thing layer using your paintbrush.

Glitter time! (I can't remember the last time I've used glitter in a project, possibly elementary school. But let me tell you... reunited and it feels so good.)
Continue to put layers of glue onto your shoe and glitter on top until you have covered a large area.

Gently pat the glitter down so it really sticks to the glue.


When I started the other shoe, I was getting impatient so I covered large areas with the tacky glue. This actually worked just fine, and went much quicker.  
Continue to dispense your glue, paintbrush it thin and right up to the edges of the sole, and sprinkle your glitter.


This is what I have to deal with when I'm trying to do anything that isn't feeding, petting, or cuddling Molly.


I expected this project to take a lot of glitter, but it really didn't at all! This was a brand new container and I barely made a dent in it. So you don't need to purchase very much at all.


Once I felt that I had covered every part of the shoe with glitter, I used a dry paintbrush to dust away any glitter specs that were on an area I didn't want any on. (Molly was entranced by the glitter)


Take your spray adhesive and put a thin coat onto your shoes. 
IMPORTANT: make sure you are a good distance away (like a foot or more) from your shoes when you spray. If you are too close it gobs up on the glitter and makes it not sparkly anymore. I had to re-do a section because of this.


These bad boys took forever to dry. I sat them in front of a fan to speed up the process, rotating them every 20 minutes.

Love!
I can't wait to wear these!


I love the way these turned out! 
I'm all ready thinking of other pairs I can do this to, with other glitter colors.


--Emily Jo


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home