Monday, December 5, 2011

Furniture Facelift

This little shelf unit was redone for my friend's mom and I was given free range to do whatever I wanted with it, so I was excited to see what I could come up with. This piece was in very rough shape when I picked it up, but I knew I could modernize it and make it functional again.


Supplies: 
Sandpaper - a sander helped a ton on this project, but it could also be done by hand
Wood putty
Primer
Paint - latex and spray paint
Two drawer pulls
Acetate scrapbook paper
Spray adhesive
Painters tape
Paper towels
Paint brushes


This piece started out looking pretty beat up - a few holes right through the sides, the back was beginning to mold and lots of dings and scratches. So to begin with I took the back completely off and secured the drawer back into place. 


After a quick sanding, I began patching up the holes. 


Round two of sanding and it's already starting to look better.


Time to prime!


So I had some pretty grand ideas for a mercury glass-esque faux finish for the top and sides of this piece. I used paper towels to cover the front and back and spray painted the top and sides a shiny silver.


Then I went in and painted the shelves beige and the front white.


Once I had given the faux finish a try, I knew it wasn't going to come out how I was hoping so back to the drawing board(aka Michaels) I went. I came home with some clear acetate scrapbook paper with a black damask print on it. I also picked up this paper cutter that I'm not sure how I lived so long without. I cut the paper down to 2"x2" squares so that they would fill the space evenly.


With the cutting all done, I layed out the squares like tiles, alternating the orientation of the pattern. 


I was nervous for the gluing part, not knowing how the glue would show through the clear acetate, but ultimately it looked great. So I sprayed enough glue to lay down two rows at a time, making sure the glue didn't dry out too much before I got to it.


This is the point where I decided I wasn't loving the beige on the shelves and slapped a couple coats of the white paint on instead.


I also sprayed the top and sides down with a clear gloss, just to protect the squares a bit from lifting up.


Hopefully I can get a few pictures once it is installed in the McKelvey home!

--Heather

2 Comments:

At January 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM , Blogger the cape on the corner said...

that's great with the open shelving! i could use something like this.

 
At February 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Holly @ Bella Nest said...

Wow! This table looks great! You've inspired me to pick up some acetate paper this weekend. I'm your newest follower! Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home