Saturday, February 4, 2012

Jersey Scarf

Although winter in Massachusetts has been oddly tame this year(let's hope I didn't just jinx us!), scarves are still a necessity and everyday staple. During my closet deep clean, I decided that I could part with some of the clothes I had, including a gray jersey knit dress with some stains on it. I had seen the shredded jersey knit scarves everywhere and decided that I could use the fabric from the dress for this project.

Supplies:
Jersey fabric
Scissors
Needle and thread


This dress had a lot of fabric, so the scarf ends up pretty long, so just adjust to whatever length or size you're aiming for. 


I cut the skirt from the top, laid it flat and cut off the bottom hem as well. Make sure the save that piece for a later step though.


Then I just started cutting strips, leaving an inch of fabric at the end uncut, so that the strips still remain attached. I cut the strips to about an inch to an inch and a half wide, uniformity isn't crucial here. 


Then I decided I wanted to add a braid into the mix, so I snipped the ends of those pieces so that I could braid them back together.


A good way to keep the ends of long strands from getting tangled while braiding is to bunch them up.


Once the braid was done, I sewed the end back onto the scarf. 


Here you can see all the separate strands and how they are still connected at the top. Once you've cut all the strands you want to stretch them out as much as possible to give the edges that curled in effect.


I then used the bottom hem to wrap up the scarf where they all meet on one end. This helps to hide where you've sewn the braid back in and adds a bit of structure to this unstructured scarf. I tucked the end of the hem into the wrap and threw a few stitches in to make sure it wouldn't fall out.


As you can see it's pretty long, but I love my scarves wrapped around my neck a few times to give them volume and keep me nice and toasty warm!


From start to finish, this project took me a half hour, so dig through your closet or hit up your local fabric shop and get started on your own stylish scarf!

--Heather

1 Comments:

At February 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Heather,

Love it! I love what you did and it looks great. : )

Vanessa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home