Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fabric Wrapped Frames

This is a great way to update an old frame, and add a touch of 'homemade' to any space in your home.

Supplies:
Picture Frame
Scrap Fabric
Scissors
Mod Podge
Paintbrush


I found my frame for .79 cents at a thrift store, if you don't have any frames laying around your house you want to update, I definitely suggest you try the local thrift shops, Dollar Tree, and Salvation Army near you. It doesn't matter what the frame looks like, because you will be completely changing the look of it. Just make sure you like the shape of your chosen frame.


Start by cleaning off any dust on your frame and taking out the backer and glass.



Cut your scrap fabric into strips. Size doesn't matter, neatness doesn't matter, just make a few strips.  Mine were about 1.5" wide by 1' long. And the amount of fabric you need is comparable to the size of your frame. I used less than 1/4 of a yard.


Now paint your Mod Podge on the front, back, and sides of a small section of your frame that you are going to start with.


Grab a strip and start on the back of your frame.  Stick your strip to your Mod Podge and start wrapping.


Always working down your frame, continue wrapping your first strip.


To secure the end of each strip, paint some Mod Podge over the top of it. Remember, Mod Podge dries completely clear, so you really can't overdo it, no worries.


Keep wrapping and try to avoid the little, bendable, securing strips that hold your picture in the frame. Leave them sticking out, you'll need those. 


Once you are all done and your whole frame is now covered in fabric, insert your backer and glass back in before your frame dries. You want to make sure everything fits back in while it's still malleable. 


Here is my finished product!


I decided I needed a little Vinny in my room.


My walls were pretty empty so I'm thinking of doing a whole wall of these frames mixed with vintage frames of all different shapes and sizes.


It's a great way to mix and match a bunch of framed pictures on a wall, while still creating a unity by having all of the frames be fabric.


--Emily Jo



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At January 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Carmen Varner said...

I love the yellow! I adore thrifting frames, but I never thought of adding fabric! Great idea.

 
At January 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM , Blogger . said...

Thanks Carmen, I hope you enjoy making these frames as much as I do!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home