Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Shoe Hangers

If you hadn't noticed yet, I have a tendency to pick projects that organize my stuff more efficiently. I'm living at home and have about 100 square feet to work with in my room, so I need to be thrifty with both my space and funds. I came across a fun way to hang up shoes using old wire hangers and decided to give it a try. 

Supplies:
Wire hangers
Wire cutters
Pliers


As you can see, this girl likes her shoes. And this is after I got rid of at least 10 pair during my closet deep cleaning... 


With the words of Stacy and Clinton from "What Not To Wear" running through my head about how awful wire hangers are for your clothes, I felt no remorse in gathering all of the wire hangers in my house and cutting them up. 


To start, I cut a big chunk of the bottom off. 


Then I bent the top part down where it sort of looks like shoulders.


And straightened out the ends.


Then I bent the wires about two inches down from the shoulders - honestly you could bend and shape this however you want, but these are the basic beginning steps I used for all of them. 


Then I made a little curly cue on the ends. This was the first one and definitely turned out rougher than any of the others. 


And here you can sort of see how there are endless ways to shape the ends depending on your aesthetic. Sorry for the poor picture quality, these babies were hard to photograph. If you click on the image it will enlarge and you may be able to see the details a bit better. 


My shoes are much happier to have their own space and not be stacked all on top of each other. This project took some time and a bit of patience in getting the wire to do what you want, but it was well worth it to have just the tiniest bit more space in my closet.

--Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home