Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mirror Overlay

My day off today was spent wracking my brain for a project to do. I spent hours scouring Pinterest for some inspiration and ultimately I think I was just overloaded with ideas and too overwhelmed to pick one. I started searching through my house for materials that might inspire me when I came across the leftover acetate paper from my Furniture Facelift. Something clicked in my brain and I decided to see how it would look overlaid onto the mirrors on my armoire - also featured in my first post on Fabric Lined Drawers

Supplies:
Acetate paper
Mirror with frame
Ruler
Scissors
Marker


Here it is again! This poor piece of furniture just can't be left alone!


Already liking the way this is looking!


First I measured out the width and added a 1/2 inch so that the sides would stay put behind the frame.


Measuring out my strips of acetate paper.


Cutting them down to size.


To put them in, I just pushed the paper in from the front, no need to take this apart!


The paper adds a fun pop of visual texture without completely taking away from the mirror. 


As you can see, it plays perfectly off my comforter too! This project seriously only took me ten minutes... unbelievably simple for such a dramatic outcome.

--Heather

11 Comments:

At February 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that idea, such a nice touch! I think that is the piece of furniture your Mom found and refinished....

 
At February 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM , Blogger . said...

It is! She picked this piece up off the side of the road and I'm so lucky she did, it's my favorite piece of furniture.

 
At February 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Hi, Heather

How cool, something so small makes such a big change. It looks awesome! I found your blog from Kim, Made you look link party. I love looking around. I am a new follower and I would love for you to stop by www.homesweetbutterfly.com. Have a great weekend.

Vanessa

 
At February 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Steph M. said...

Looks great; love the idea! Makes me want to buy some mirrors, haha!

 
At February 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM , Blogger . said...

Hi Vanessa! Thanks for following us! I loved taking a peek at your blog, the recipes were especially droolworthy.

 
At February 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM , Blogger . said...

Haha, thanks Steph, you should check out some cheapo ones at walmart or target - sometimes target has some fun frames and mirrors in their clearance department too.

 
At February 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM , Blogger Kim~madeinaday said...

Hi ladies! I featured your Mirror Overlay today! Love it, I thinking of what to do this on now!!
Kim@madeinaday
http://madeinaday.com

 
At February 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Holly @ Bella Nest said...

Hi, Girls! I LOVE this idea!

 
At February 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM , Blogger . said...

Kim, Thank you so much for featuring us again. We appreciate it so much and love your site!! And thank you, Holly- we love it too! Grab some Acetate paper and give it a try!

 
At February 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Kate Flynn Designs said...

OHHHHHH!!! Why are trash pile salvages so stinking awesome! What a great armoire! The acetate paper really added some extra elegance and pop to the piece! I don't follow many blogs at all, but I love snooping around your site!!

 
At February 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM , Blogger . said...

Thank you so much, Kate! We are glad to have you snooping :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home