Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Screen Print Style Stamping

I've been looking at a lot of graphic design work lately and loving the re-emergence of the vintage, true screen print style lettering and graphic work.  I decided to give this style a try on a much smaller level with a trip to my local dollar store to start.

Supplies:
Foam Sheets
Scissors
Acrylic Paint
Glue
Paintbrushes
Something small with some weight (keep reading, I'll explain this one)


The foam sheets I bought from the dollar store were a great find and just what I was looking for.


Cut your foam into the shape you desire, I decided to go simple- basic shape and primary colors.


Now you need to create your stamp. This is where you will need to find something around your home that is small (but bigger then your shape) with some weight.

I chose some cat food cans I had. Other great options would be cedar blocks, glass tops to candles, large perfume bottles...just start looking around, you'll find something.


Glue your shape to the object of choice and get ready to stamp.


I found the best outcome happened when I painted the paint onto the foam stamp instead of literally stamping it into the paint.


Oh hi, screen print style stamp...


And then I couldn't get enough and just kept stamping.


This project would be fun to do on T-shirts with fabric paint, or even on a bedroom wall (if you have the patience).


The thinner you paint the backs of the stamps, the less messy the edge will be. As you can see towards the end of the paper (my blue triangles) I finally found the right amount for the stamp.

I like the "anyone can do this" type project, and this is definitely one of those.  I'm already planning a lesson for my students using this method while also thinking about a chevron boarder I could do with this method on a desk.  So many options and possibilities! Happy Stamping!

--Emily Jo





2 Comments:

At February 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM , Blogger MagdaG said...

Alternative- spray glue and card stock weight paper- cut out the shape you want (like making a stencil). You can do this carefully with scissors or an exacto blade. Take a light-weight, non-permanent spray glue and spray the back of your paper, then glue it to a t-shirt. Dab on fabric paint in the negative spaces with a stencil brush or carefully with a foam brush (not too much paint!), peel the paper away and you have a screen-print style shirt!

 
At February 23, 2012 at 10:48 AM , Blogger . said...

Thank you for the idea! We will be putting this on our "to-do" list. Also, if you have done this before and have photographs of the finished result, we would love to post it with credit to you! We love featuring other creative individuals. E-mail any photos to emilyjojohnson1@gmail.com and we would love to share your project! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home