Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chalkboard Paint

I've seen the fad of chalkboard paint floating around the internet now for the past few months. I took a trip to Home Depot and found a tiny bucket of Chalkboard paint for $24.  We can do better then that, so here is my own recipe for Chalkboard paint.  (I found a few different versions on the web, but when I experimented a few times, this concoction was easiest and had the best results)


Supplies:

Latex Paint, any color (matte or semi-gloss)
Dry, Non-sanded Grout
Paint Roller
Chalk


I decided this desk was my Guinea pig for my chalk adventure. 

The area for my chalkboard paint would be the two side panels. BUT, before I took on that endeavor,  I painted the desk and added some scrapbook paper to the "hard to paint" areas on top. Incase anyone wanted to try this as well:


All you need is a little Mod Podge, measuring tape, scissors, and a paintbrush...


And you can do this! 

Ok, back to the Chalkboard paint.


I used 1/2 cup of Latex Paint


And 1 Tbsp of White, Dry, non-sanded grout. Just wanted to add, this was the smallest size I could find, you will have ALOT left over.



This was enough for 2 coats of Paint on the sides of my desk.  If you are doing a larger area like a part of a wall, just double/triple the recipe however you see fit. (ex- 4 cups of paint = 8 Tbsp of grout)
Now mix your grouty-paint together and try to get all the clumps out.  I just used a paintbrush but a paint stirrer would have been helpful.


Using a roller or a sponge brush, paint your surface.  You'll notice the paint is much thicker and the white grout dulls the color a little bit.  So if you want your color very bright and vibrant, I would recommend getting a shade brighter then you want in the end and the grout will bring it down once mixed.

After 2 coats, condition your chalkboard surface by taking your chalk and gently scribbling all over the surface. Then wipe all of that off...and here are the results:



Such an easy, fun way to add a conversation piece to anything in your home.  Think: kitchen recipe/menu cupboard, a calendar wall in your office, a table in your children's playroom.


Much better, maybe this will help me stay a little more organized too!


You can walk the walk...but can you chalk the chalk?  :)

--Emily Jo





2 Comments:

At February 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Stephanie Baker said...

This is literally what I was just wishing I had.

 
At February 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM , Blogger . said...

Oh perfect!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home