Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wedding Centerpieces

Warning: this post will be long. My brother, Phil, and his fiance, Mary, are tying the knot this June and asked me to try out a few centerpiece ideas to see what they like and what's feasible. I was thrilled to be able to help and had a ton of ideas I wanted to test out, which means this post is a bit all-over the place, but bear with me!

Supplies:
Glass containters
Tape
Exacto or utility knife
Food coloring
Sobo glue or Mod Podge - Elmer's will NOT work in this case
Spray paint
Spray adhesive
Lace
Glass etching paint


So Mary had mentioned that she really liked the look of glass jars with candles in them, possibly with a spray paint or frosted design and maybe some of them could be dyed a light blue. I gathered all the glass jars in my house - cleaned them up and got to work.


I wanted to try out a criss-cross type random pattern on the jars so I cut my 1 inch thick tape down the center to make thinner strips. 


Then I just started wrapping.


Here they are!


Ready for etching - I won't go into the details of this process again, but if you are interested we posted a tutorial for new years on glass etching. 


Now that the glasses have the frosted look, time to dye the inside.



To create the dye - mix 3 parts water to 2 parts glue and however much food coloring you want for the your desired color. A little goes a long way with this mixture, so don't waste your glue on making a large amount. 


Then you pour in the mixture and swirl it around to cover the entire interior.


If you are thinking ahead - keep the lids so you can screw them back on and just shake the mixture up. If you're like me, you threw them out and used a baggie with a rubber band around the top so you can shake it. 


Then pour the excess dye back into you mixing container and allow the rest to drip. You can leave them to dry like this, or turn them upright but make sure to spread out the extra dye that will collect at the bottom. 


Now I also wanted to see what some spray painted lace would look like so I went back to our tile coaster tutorial and followed those same steps for these candle holders. 


Ready for paint!


I wanted to spray these with white paint but the closest we had was silver, so this will do for now.


And here is the bunch of them all aglow! The dyed glass with the brown glass gives it a bit of a beachy feel - though I would add in some plain frosted glass for good measure. There is also spray paint that gives glass a frosted effect if you didn't want to go the etching route. 


These little candle holders look attainably elegant with their lace pattern.


The brown glass warms up the color scheme.


And the dyed glasses allow for customization to any style of wedding. 

There are a few more ideas I didn't get to try out yet, so get excited for a second round of centerpiece ideas!

--Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home